No, using your own Starkit appliance, you will no longer need a cloud storage provider such as Dropbox or Google Drive. Your cloud storage provider is you, using your own server where you will install the Starkit software.
Starkit build incloud storage functionality is based on the open source software owncloud. It is very similar to the widely used Dropbox, while keeping the security—as well as any fees—in your own hands.
The primary difference is that that when you download and install Starkit on your hardware, you can operate it without charge on your private Starkit appliance, with no limits on storage space (except for hard disk capacity) or the number of connected clients.
You will still have the benefits of Dropbox like service, plus more. Here is a list of notable features:
- File storage in conventional directory structures or via WebDAV.
- Encryption of user files.
- Synchronization of clients running Windows (Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8), Mac OS X (10.6 or better), or Linux.
- Music streaming (through Ampache)
- User and group administration (via OpenID or LDAP)
- Sharing of content across groups or public URLs.
- Online text editor with syntax highlighting and code folding
- URL shortening Suite
- Photo gallery.
- Video viewer.
- PDF viewer (using PDF.js)
- Viewer for ODF Files (.odt, .odp, .ods)
- Mozilla Sync hosting – If you are a Mozilla Firefox user, all history, form data, bookmarks etc. can be stored in your ownCloud server.
- Customizable with one-click-install apps.